Paramount Pictures is moving forward with Rush Hour 4 — a film many thought would never see the light of day — despite the storm of sexual misconduct allegations that have shadowed director Brett Ratner for nearly a decade. The decision, confirmed by multiple entertainment outlets on November 25, 2025, marks a dramatic comeback for Ratner, who hasn’t directed a major studio film since Hercules in 2014. The movie will star returning leads Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, reuniting the iconic buddy-cop duo more than 17 years after Rush Hour 3 hit theaters. What’s more surprising? Warner Bros.’ New Line Cinema, which produced the original trilogy, quietly stepped away — leaving Paramount, headquartered at 5555 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, to pick up the pieces.
Why Now? The Trump Connection
The silence from studios for over a year wasn’t due to lack of interest — it was fear. After multiple women, including Olivia Munn and Elliot Page, came forward in October 2017 with allegations of sexual misconduct, Ratner’s career cratered. He denied the claims, sued accuser Melanie Kohler in 2017 (a case settled in July 2018 under undisclosed terms), and vanished from Hollywood’s A-list. But here’s the twist: Ratner never vanished from politics. His ties to Donald J. Trump — a man who publicly praised him as “a great guy” in 2020 — appear to have reopened doors. Earlier in 2025, Ratner secured a $40 million deal with Amazon Studios to produce a documentary about Melania Knauss-Trump. That deal, insiders say, signaled a political recalibration. When Paramount quietly entered negotiations, rumors swirled: Was this about money? Or influence?
The Numbers Don’t Lie
Let’s be clear — this isn’t a passion project. It’s a payday. The original Rush Hour trilogy, all directed by Ratner and released between 1998 and 2007, grossed a staggering $850 million worldwide. That’s not nostalgia — that’s a proven formula. Chan and Tucker’s chemistry, the over-the-top action, the cultural mashup — it worked. And in a market starved for reliable franchises, that’s magnetic. Even with declining box office power for action comedies, the brand recognition alone makes this a low-risk, high-reward play. Paramount, under CEO Robert Bakish, knows this. They’re not betting on critical acclaim. They’re betting on recognition.
Who’s Saying What?
Paramount didn’t respond to requests for comment from The Independent on November 26, 2025. But industry insiders are talking. Matthew Belloni of Puck confirmed the deal to The AV Club, noting that the studio’s decision “signals a new calculus in Hollywood — where commercial returns now outweigh reputational risk.” One anonymous producer told K92 Radio, “They didn’t greenlight Ratner. They greenlighted the title. The name ‘Rush Hour’ is worth more than the director’s name right now.”
Meanwhile, critics are raising alarms. “This isn’t just about one movie,” said film historian Dr. Lena Torres in a recent podcast. “It’s about what we’re willing to forgive — and who gets to decide.” She pointed to the 2017 #MeToo movement, which upended careers and reshaped studio policies. “If Ratner can return with a $100 million franchise, what message does that send to survivors?”
What’s Next?
Production is expected to begin in early 2026, likely in Los Angeles and possibly Hong Kong, to honor the franchise’s roots. A late 2027 release date is the current target, though no official date has been set. The film will be distributed theatrically by Paramount, while Warner Bros. retains ownership of the intellectual property — a rare split that reflects the studio’s desire to distance itself from the controversy. The script, still under wraps, is rumored to involve a global art heist with Chan’s Inspector Lee and Tucker’s Detective Carter now in their 50s and 60s — a deliberate nod to aging, but also a clever way to justify the time jump.
History Repeating?
This isn’t the first time Hollywood has resurrected a disgraced figure for profit. Roman Polanski returned to the Oscars after fleeing sexual assault charges. Harvey Weinstein’s name still appears on films years after his conviction. The pattern is clear: money has a long memory. But this time, there’s a new layer — political alignment. Ratner’s access to the Trump circle, combined with his proven box office track record, created a perfect storm. The industry’s silence speaks louder than any statement. Is this the new normal? Or a dangerous precedent?
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did Warner Bros. pass on distributing Rush Hour 4?
Warner Bros.’ subsidiary New Line Cinema, which produced the original trilogy, opted out to avoid association with Brett Ratner amid ongoing sexual misconduct allegations. While Warner Bros. retains ownership of the franchise, the studio chose not to risk its brand reputation by releasing the film directly, leaving Paramount to handle distribution instead.
How has the #MeToo movement influenced this decision?
The #MeToo movement initially sidelined Ratner, leading to a near-total industry blackout. But the decision to greenlight Rush Hour 4 suggests a shift: commercial potential and political connections now outweigh reputational concerns for some studios. Critics argue this undermines the movement’s progress, while others say it reflects Hollywood’s enduring obsession with proven franchises.
What role did Donald Trump play in Ratner’s return?
While no direct evidence ties Trump to Paramount’s decision, Ratner’s close relationship with the former president — including a $40 million Amazon documentary deal about Melania Trump earlier in 2025 — signaled a political rehabilitation. Industry insiders believe this access helped normalize Ratner’s return, making studios more willing to overlook past allegations.
When will Rush Hour 4 be released?
Production is expected to start in early 2026, with a targeted theatrical release in late 2027. Paramount has not confirmed a date, but industry timelines suggest a 20-month post-production window, typical for action comedies with heavy visual effects and international filming.
Is this the first major film for Ratner since 2014?
Yes. His last feature film was Hercules (2014), starring Dwayne Johnson. Since then, he’s directed TV episodes and documentaries, but Rush Hour 4 marks his return to a major studio theatrical release after an 11-year hiatus. His Amazon documentary on Melania Trump is his only other significant project in the interim.
How much money is at stake with Rush Hour 4?
The original trilogy grossed $850 million worldwide. While budgets for sequels have risen, insiders estimate Rush Hour 4’s production budget at $80–100 million, with marketing likely exceeding $60 million. Paramount expects a global gross of at least $300 million to break even — a conservative target given the franchise’s legacy and Chan and Tucker’s enduring global appeal.